This week I attended a Career Development Planning seminar. The people in Talent acquisition put together a presentation demonstrating how to move up in our company. It was super motivating and informative.
I took away 5 main points from the presentation:
- You need to take charge of your career. Understanding that you can affect how the professional world sees you by bringing your “A game” every day is important.
- Goals are important and necessary to growth. Aimlessly trying to succeed makes life more complicated and stressful than it should be. Set realistic goals on a timeline and help keep you motivated to improve.
- Utilize resources and ask for feedback. In a company with multiple position types, or even just who you know on a personal level, you can gain insight into various aspects of the business world. Doing this also helps you network and cross-train to become a better candidate for a promotion or outside job.
- Research business news/ ideas. Staying up-to-date can help you in professional conversation. This isn’t most important, but it can help you stand out.
- Stay motivated. If you got turned down for a job or promotion, don’t mentally resign from your current position. Persistent, quality work and improvement can get you where you want. Just be patient.
We went over a lot of information in a short amount of time, but these five things are what stood out to me. I hope someone else finds them as motivating and useful as I do!